041: Shauna Coxsey/Positivity is a choice
“Your mindset and how you deal with things is a choice. People would say I’m a positive person but that’s a conscious choice that I make. I think there’s always an opportunity to create a new outlook.”
How do you get to the top of your sport? Sure, you need incredible focus, steely ambition and exceptional physical talent. But you also need a particular mindset – an ability to deal with setbacks and injuries; to turn setbacks into positives, and to continually readjust your goals as circumstances dictate.
- Shauna’s day.
- First World Cup of the season.
- Finger injury.
- A2 pulley tendon injuries.
- Recovery process.
- Coping with the downtime.
- Keeping busy and keeping a positive focus.
- How injuries can be a positive experience.
- How Shauna’s team helps her concentrate on being a climber.
- Learning to relish training.
- The choice to start working with a team.
- Shauna’s training schedule as a young climber.
- Finger training regime.
- ‘On-the-minute’ pull ups.
- The influence of Catherine Destivelle
- How Shauna’s Dad helped build the foundations of her career.
- Navigating the teenage years.
- Framing sacrifice as a positive experience.
- Early climbing ambitions – and following them through.
- Early career – and how it developed.
- Compartmentalising achievement.
- ‘I always have another goal ready’.
- Tokyo – the next goal.
- The three disciplines – bouldering, lead and speed.
- The controversy around the new Olympic format.
- How Shauna is planning to tackle the challenges the new format brings.
- The cultural argument around the new format.
- Which athletes will have an advantage by the new format.
- The 2018 IFSC World Championships.
- The specific mental challenges of bouldering.
- Shauna’s mental preparation.
- The genesis of the Womens’ Climbing Symposium.
- The Symposium today – eight years in.
- Outdoor climbing and where it fits in.
- Shauna’s MBE.
- Shauna’s advice for a young climber.
- ‘Do the things that you don’t like’.
- Shauna’s warm-up routine.
- Adela Carter
- Evie Jordan
- Catherine Destivelle
- Leah Crane
- Ned Feehally